- The Conference Board’s Leading Economic Indexes (LEIs): Clicking on the global section of the “Economic Indicators” box in the top right will show all the LEIs published by The Conference Board. While some are of greater value than others—China’s is wholly unproven—the US gauge is about as good a forward-looking indicator of economic conditions out there. In more than half a century, no recession has started when LEI is high and rising.
- 10-Year Treasury Constant Maturity Minus 2-Year Treasury Constant Maturity is one of our favorite indicators for predicting recessions.
- The Wall Street Journal’s Data Center provides a wide array of information.
- Finviz provides a wide array of market information and screening tools.
The links below are all sourced from the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis’ tremendous FRED database, a hugely expansive source containing thousands of economic data time series.
Please note: You will need to refresh these links to get the latest data by adjusting the date ranges.All of these data are freely downloadable using the export button and citation instructions are also included.
- Consumer Price Index (CPI)
- Core CPI (CPI excluding food and energy prices)
- Personal Consumption Expenditures (PCE) Price Index (The Fed’s preferred inflation measure.)
- Core PCE Price Index (PCE excluding food and energy)
- Consumer Spending (Personal Consumption Expenditures)
- Retail and Food Services Sales
- 10-Year US Treasury Yields
- Yield Spread: 10-Year Minus Effective Fed Funds
- Total Trade (Exports plus Imports, Balance of Payments basis)
- Exports of Goods and Services (Balance of Payments basis)
- Imports of Goods and Services (Balance of Payments basis)
- The Institute for Supply Management’s US Manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index
- The Institute for Supply Management’s US Manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index – New Orders Component
- The Institute for Supply Management’s US Non-manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index
- The Institute for Supply Management’s US Non-manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index – New Orders Component
- Industrial Production
- Industrial Production: Manufacturing
Contact us by phone (415) 249-6337 to find out how we can work together to help you manage your investments or fill out this short form and we will contact you.